Lust for life

I was going through Q&A sections in Yahoo, when I noticed a question on Van Gogh's sunflowers. Somebody had answered they were famous because they are full of life. I suddenly had an urge to go through Van Gogh's paintings. I was trying to suck in the work of a Genius. They are beautiful and he must have had so much within him to produce such vibrant works.

Later one day I somehow reached an wikipedia article having a list of the most expensive paintings ever. The majority of the list comprised of Picaso and Van Gogh. There was a comment in it - "Vincent van Gogh and Pablo Picasso are by far the best represented artists in the list. Whereas Picasso became a wealthy man, Van Gogh (supposedly) sold only one painting in his lifetime, The Red Vineyard, for 400 Francs (about $1600) to the impressionist painter and heiress Anna Boch." I thought why?


One of paintings from Sunflowers series by Van Gogh

I got the answer to my question the very next day. I was in office and discussing greater philosophies of life with one of my senior colleague. He suddenly said, "Read a book called 'Lust for Life'". He spelled out the name for me. I instantly did a Google search and found out this book was a biographical novel on the life of Vincent Van Gogh. What a coincidence! There was a movie too. But somehow I thought of reading the book first. I downloaded the pdf from a site. But before I read it I started reading his short biography from wikipedia. It was touching how an artist becomes what he is and dies because he could not become more of him. Think of genius dying in despair that his vision exceeds his ability to execute!

I'm just 10 pages into the book and will return to blog only after I finish reading.

Comments

  1. it is a beautiful book though. Quite an insight into a troubled mind and a beautiful brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sam..lemme know the review..will try to read it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kiran: A wonderful book, I'm half way through, will finish it soon and write about it. And you could already start reading the book, but before that do some ground work by studying Van Gogh's paintings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts